Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Joywave at the A+R Music Bar, Columbus, Ohio. September 29, 2014.

     Joywave is a band from New York that plays electronic based alternative music with an upbeat tempo. I have really enjoyed them since I heard "Tongues" earlier this year on CD102.5 in Columbus, Ohio. I think their combination of interesting vocals, excellent musicianship, and lyrics make them very appealing. I was looking to see them on this tour and glad they made it to Columbus, opening for St. Lucia at the A+R Music Bar. The show was sold out.
     From my understanding, the band has some digital downloads available on Soundcloud, an EP on iTunes, and a full CD coming out soon. The had a t-shirt, a free promo poster, a 45, a "Tongues" (with 3 other songs) 12" vinyl disc, and a vinyl 12" EP.
     The band played songs from the EP, some new yet-to-be-released songs, and closed with "Tongues". The vast majority of the songs were fun to listen to, dance-able, and very well played. The vocals, synth work, and drums sounded really good live -- better even. It reminded me of conversations I have had with my teenage sons about how good Foster the People and Passion Pit sound live -- better than the recordings. Really good stuff.
     I do not say this very often: this band is gonna play headlining shows before thousands in the next few years. They have got "it". Just keep performing the songs this well, keep writing new material as good as you have done so far, and keep up the touring. I will say "I saw them a few hundred people back in 2014". I even think the band name is cool.
     One note: I wish the band had come over to the merch table after they played and St. Lucia went on. There was over a half an hour. I stood there waiting. I wanted to get a t-shirt and have you guys sign a promo poster for me. But no one ever manned the merch table. I was standing there for so long with my New Order concert shirt on, I was presumed to be the "merch guy" and was repeatedly asked questions about things. I will catch you next time you come to town. And you, the readers of this blog, should catch them soon too. Great stuff. These guys are really worth the listen! [Note: I left before St. Lucia completed their set, so I presume someone manned the merch table after the show, but I cannot vouch for that -- there table had not been manned before the show either.]

No comments:

Post a Comment