Saturday, July 26, 2014

Dr. John and the Night Trippers July 25, 2014 at the Park Street Saloon.

     My anticipation was high for this show having never seen Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Dr. John. Somehow, I have also never been to any of the Park Street establishments. The set up was that there were about 70 seats for VIPs and then standing room for another 300 behind the seats. I bought my ticket early enough I was able to sit in the VIP seats. One note: this place is LOUD once the music starts -- bring ear plugs!
OPENER: Molly Winters is a local talent. She did a solo set of her own material plus a few covers, including "Stepping Stone" and a Linda Ronstadt song. Enjoyable.
HEADLINER: Dr. John came out to his keyboards wearing a blue suit, a hat, with snake skin boots. Wow! Accompanied by the Night Trippers band including jazz legend Bobby Floyd on Hammond B3 organ. Dr. John remains a dynamic performer with his keyboard playing, soulful voice, and guitar playing all sounding terrific! 'Iko Iko', 'Right Place, Wrong Time', and many other classics were played. The backing band is all from Central Ohio except for the guitarist. Musical director Susan Morrow from Pickerington also plays the trombone. It was a great chance, as Susan said from the stage, for the band to bring home to Columbus the show they have played all over the world with Dr. John! The band played for over an hour and a half. Very, very good show!
MERCH: There were a limited number of amazing colorful posters signed by Dr. John and numbered to a few hundred for $75 -- I would have bought one if I had the cash on me. They also had a few Dr. John or Susan Morrow CDs. The posters were top notch!
My Rating: 4 out of 5.
Dr. John

Dr. John

No comments:

Post a Comment