Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at the Masonic Temple, Detroit, MI on July 29, 2014

     I was excited to see earlier this Summer that Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds were touring in North America. Mr. Cave and his band have a reputation for amazing live shows and I have not been lucky enough to see one. That changed last night in Detroit.
     I have been to the Masonic Temple in Detroit once before -- I saw the Jack White/Alabama Shakes show a couple years ago at the Scottish Rite Hall in the Temple. It is an amazing venue. It is the largest Masonic Temple in the World! Amazing architecture! I do not know anything about the process they went through in setting up the Scottish Rite Hall or the Auditorium for "the sound" of the place, but both "rooms" sound great. My seat was in the back third of auditorium on the right side of the auditorium. I could see the stage just fine.
     One comment: this was THE best dressed "rock" crowd I have ever been a part of. I felt grossly under-dressed with my black Pixies t-shirt, gray jeans, and black high top sneakers. I over-heard someone say "when did you get back from your tour?" to a well dressed 30ish male. I think Detroit wore their best rock rags to the show. Well done!
MERCH: They had a nice collection of t-shirts, buttons, CDs, and drum heads(!). I bought a nice black (what other color would a Nick Cave shirt be I want to know) 2014 North American tour t-shirt.
OPENER: I have heard of Nicole Atkins but not heard her music. I am happy I have seen her now. I was interested that she said "we are from Asbury Park, NJ" when she started on stage with her guitarist and drummer (no bassist). My ears perked up, being a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. I think Nicole sounds like a cross between PJ Harvey and Roy Orbison. She had quite a few really good songs. Nice performance by she and the band. They played about 35 minutes.
HEADLINER: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds came on with a big group -- drummer, guitarist, bassist, keyboards, and two multi-instrumentalist. Nick Cave sang and sometimes played the piano. And what a show! Nick prowled the stage, beckoning the crowd closer to the stage. The band had a large full sound that was top-notch. Nick sang, depending on the song, with a loud roar or a soft and tender voice. The man showed the full range of his voice and his emotions. Twice Nick went out into the crowd. Once, he hopped on chair armrests to get 10-15 rows out into the front of center stage. The second time, two fans beckoned him to them on the left side where the second tier of seats wrapped close to the stage. As they reached for his hand to touch Mr. Cave, he held on of their hands for support and he jumped onto that second tier. He worked his way around the front of the section, singing all the way. When he got as far as his microphone cord would allow him, he was in a fever pitched part of a song. He leaned forward then back with a woman in the section in a spontaneous live music moment that I will not soon forget. It was mesmerizing. A highlight for me was the force of "Stagger Lee". I am very familiar with the history of the original song and Lloyd Price's version, but had never heard this version. It was a gut punch. When it climaxes, the sound, lighting, and Nick Cave's vocal performance really had the crowd in their grasp. An amazing moment in a concert filled with them.
     Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds played for 2 hours. I went from hopeful about the show to amazed in those two hours. I was VERY impressed. An excellent band at an excellent auditorium putting on an excellent performance.
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars. "Stagger Lee" is one of the top 10 concert song experiences for me all time.
Nicole Atkins

Nicole Atkins

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Nick Cave out in the crowd.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment