Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Steely Dan at the Palace Theater, Columbus, Ohio 8-13-14

     One of my all time favorite bands is Steely Dan. I did not see them in concert until 8-10 years ago at the Schott. It was great. And I was really looking forward to seeing them at the Palace Theater in Columbus, Ohio tonight.
VENUE: The Palace has held many shows over the years. Nice layout, good acoustics, and easy access downtown make this a nice place to see a show.
     I could not help but think of Robin Williams, who died this week. My wife and I saw him there twice doing stand up comedy. The first time, within 5 minutes I wanted to leave. Why? Because I was laughing so hard that my stomach felt like someone had punched me in the gut. I did not think I could take it anymore. He was that hilarious. RIP, Mr. Williams.
OPENER: The trio Bobby Brew Organization opened the show. Bobby Brew plays an accomplished guitar and he was accompanied by a Hammond B3 organist and a drummer. Nice uptempo covers of songs were included in the too brief set. Nice opener!
HEADLINER: The band minus leaders Donald Fagen and Walter Becker came out to play an Afro-Cuban rhythm section driven interlude. Then Misters Fagen and Becker joined the band for "Black Cow". And the show was off and running. Hit after hit, played with top skill. "Josie", "Rikki Don't Lose That Number", "My Old School", "Kid Charlemagne" and many others were played with a great combination of precision and funkiness that is rarely achieved. I was impressed by Donald's vocals. I have seen him twice with the Dukes of September, once before with Steeely Dan, and this is the best he  has sounded. Mr. Fagen is famous for being…ah….misanthropic. And there was none of that tonight. "Sit back and enjoy!" he said. "You are in for a great night of music!" -- he was right.
     The backing band makes the Steely Dan show -- so many great songs that the set list matters less. And this band is great. John Harrington on lead and rhythm guitar was phenomenal. Drummer Keith Carlock's playing was a highlight song after song. The back up singers sounded great. Freddy Washington was solid on bass. And the 4 man horn section was outstanding. Besides a Lyle Lovett show where His Big Band featured so many amazing musicians and the many times I have seen Bruce Springsteen, this is one of the best backing bands I have had the pleasure to see and hear.
MY RATING: Five out of five. This is why I go to concerts. Outstanding! One of the top 10 shows I have seen in the last 10 years.

Steely Dan at the Palace Theater

No comments:

Post a Comment