Friday, August 1, 2014

Strand of Oaks at Beachland Tavern, Cleveland, Ohio on July 31, 2014

     I recently discovered Strand of Oaks after hearing the amazing "Goshen '97" from his new Heal album. I was lucky enough to catch the band on this tour while visiting Cleveland for the 2014 National Sports Collectors Convention. I was excited to be checking out a new venue and to see the band live.
VENUE: The Beachland Tavern is a near East side Cleveland venue that I have heard of but never experienced. It is a fairly small space in the tavern with a stage in the back of the room, a long bar down the right side, a few tables against the wall on the left, and a decent open space in the middle. They have a nice selection of alcoholic beverages and they have a limited food menu. I was lucky enough to sit at a bar stool next to the stage.
OPENER: Ryley Walker was the opener. I was not familiar with Ryley before the show. Ryley did a solo acoustic set with his guitar. He did about a half hour of interesting songs, including a Tim Hardin cover. Pretty good.
HEADLINER: Strand of Oaks is a four person band featuring Tim Showalter. Tim grew up in Goshen, IN before moving to Philadelphia where the band is now located. Tim sings and plays electric guitar. The touring band is rounded out with Lizzie on keyboards and backing vocals, a bassist, and drummer -- sadly, I missed out on Lizzie's last name and the names of the rhythm section.
     Tim and the band played for about an hour and a half. Their versions of "Goshen '97" and "J.M." and others from Heal were top notch. Tim's vocals, his guitar work, and the rest of the band sounded good through out. Tim and Lizzie did a couple quieter songs before bringing back the rhythm section to  rock out some more.
     Tim pointed out that the producer was "sitting over there" (pointing to the guys next to me) during the show -- the producer is from Akron, Ohio and Tim spoke of his love of the Northeast Ohio area (he used the word "magic" about the area). He promised he be back to play in the area again.
MEETING THE BAND: I LOVE meeting bands! Lizzie was manning the merch table and I bought a CD copy of Heal as well as a pre-signed (that day, according to Lizzie) tour poster. Lizzie signed the CD cover. She was very sweet. Then I waited for a few others to talk with Tim Showalter. Tim and I spoke of small town Midwestern life, how great the new album and the show are, and then he signed the CD cover. Tim complimented me on my Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds tour shirt. We discussed how intense Nick Cave is in concert. I thanked him for the great show, told him how much I loved "Goshen '97", and left the show VERY happy. Tim, Lizzie, and the band are great! If you get a chance to see them, catch a live show!
My rating of the show: 4 out of 5 stars.

Tim Showalter

Strand of Oaks

Strand of Oaks

Signed Heal CD.

Ryley Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment