Sunday, October 26, 2014

Musicians and Bands I Have Met.

     I have been fortunate enough to meet many musicians and bands over the years. Here is a list:
Blondie -- Went backstage and chatted with band. Photo with band. Signed posters and VIP badge. Grace, my wife, attended with me. The Fraze, Kettering, Ohio.
Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo -- Went backstage and chatted. Photo with Pat and Neil. Neil gave us a guitar pick. Sat on side of stage during performance. Got set list and got it signed by drummer Chris Ralles while we talked with him. Grace, my wife, attended with me. Midland Theater, Newark, Ohio.
Marc Broussard -- Met Marc after show as VIP. He signed poster, setlist, and CD for me. Got picture with Marc. My friend Ken Zakel attended with me. Madison Theater, Covington, Kentucky.
Goo Goo Dolls -- Met John Reznik and Robby Takac before the show. Got our picture with them. Sat on stage during performance. Got guitar picks from tour guitarist and bass pick from Robby. Received signed set list from tour coordinator. Grace, my wife, attended with me. LC Pavilion, Columbus, Ohio.
Switchfoot -- Met the band with VIP ticket, had my picture taken with the band, and the band signed a poster for me. I was able to watch the soundcheck also. Newport Music Hall, Columbus, Ohio.
Soul Asylum -- Got Dave Pirner's guitar pick from tour manager Kim. Dave posed for picture with me. Dave signed two or three CDs for me. A+R Music Bar, Columbus, Ohio.
Vintage Trouble -- The band shook my hand, signed my CD, and signed two posters for me. A+R Music Bar, Columbus, Ohio.
Marshall Crenshaw -- Marshall signed my LP cover before the show. During the show he complemented my clapping to keep time for him. Marshall shook my hand and we chatted after the show. He signed a poster and CD for me. Ken Zakel was with me. Canal Street Tavern, Dayton, Ohio.
Marshall Crenshaw -- Marshall shook my hand after the show. When I handed him an old set list from a show years ago in Colmbus, Ohio, he signed it and told me a long story about how he knew when and where that set list was from (only time he ever covered the Ramones' "KKK Took My Baby Away") and that he had just recently found a cassette recording of the show. Southgate House Revival, Newport, Kentucky.
Max Weinberg -- Shook my hand. Signed the back of 'Born The Run' LP. Said he did not want to sign the front as he had not played on all of it. Attended with Ken Zakel. Sinclair Community College, Dayton, Ohio.
Psychedelic Furs -- The entire band signed my LP. Spoke with each member very briefly. The tour guitarist signed the back as he had not played on the album -- his choice to sign there. The bassist was quite drunk and asked me why I wasn't having them sign the new LP. I explained the new LP cover was very dark and black Sharpie was not going to show up well -- "Oh, yeah!". DePauw University, Greencastle, Indiana.
Ryan Shaw -- Ryan signed a set list the guitarist had handed me. He also signed a tour stop poster from the show. We talked about being "preacher's kids". Ken Zakel was with me. Southern Theater, Columbus, Ohio.
Alejandro Escovedo -- Alejandro and I talked after the show about his DJing the XM Bruce Springsteen channel, he signed my CD, and he signed some pictures of him I had purchased that evening. He put his arm on my shoulder. Ken Zakel was with me. Newport Music Hall, Columbus, Ohio.
Sebadoh -- Lou Barlow signed two CDs for me. We talked for five minutes about being from Dayton, living in Massachusetts, and about Tim Hortons vs. Dunkin coffee. The Basement, Columbus, Ohio.
The Lemonheads -- Evan Dando signed my CD and poster. The Basement, Columbus, Ohio.
Richard Thompson -- Richard and I spoke briefly, he signed a CD for me, and he signed a tour poster. Richard and Lisa Kelch and Ken Zakel were with me. Nelson's Opera House, Nelsonville, Ohio.
Richard Thompson -- Richard and I briefly spoke about the excellent acoustics of the venue. He signed two CDs and the event ticket for me. Rich Kelch and Ken Zakel were with me. Southern Theater, Columbus, Ohio.
Over The Rhine -- Linford Detweiler and Karin Bergquist signed my CD and tour poster. Ken Zakel was with me. Canal Street Tavern, Dayton, Ohio.
Over The Rhine -- Spoke with Karin Bergquist as she talked with fans and walked her dog. I petted her dog. Linford and Karin's farm, Hillsboro, Ohio.
Sugar and the Hi-Los -- Amy Stroup and Trent Dabbs signed my CD. We talked about both seeing the Jack White show that had been played at same venue in the last couple days and how great it was. LC Pavilion, Columbus, Ohio.
New Politics -- Talked with David Boyd and took his picture with my son Sam, who was there. David signed a poster (and CD?) for Sam. Newport Music Hall, Columbus, Ohio.
New Politics -- Talked with David Boyd, Soren Hansen, and Louis Vecchio while I took their picture with my son Sam, who was with me at the show. They signed a CD for Sam. Sam and I talked with David Boyd for about 10 minutes after the headliners were finished as we waited for them to come out and sign. Musica, Akron, Ohio.
New Politics -- After the show, David, Soren, and Louis signed posters for Sam and his roommate, who attended the show with me. David signed the photo I had taken of him with Sam. Then all three signed the photo with Sam from Musica. David said "I remember these!" Newport Music Hall, Columbus, Ohio.
Steel Train -- After the show, the band signed a tour poster for me. The band was very deferential to me -- I was twice the age of most of the crowd. One member was very nice -- "Thank you so much for attending!". The Basement, Columbus, Ohio.
Was (Not Was) -- I got a set list -- if I had a Sharpie with me, I could have all of their signatures! I spoke with each member of the band after the show. I walked along to the tour bus with Sweet Pea Atkinson (who seemed a little annoyed with my enthusiasm). Don Was (Not Was) said "I saw you throwing down a good groove there in the front!". The Basement, Columbus, Ohio.
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings -- Sharon Jones was signing autographs after the show. She was a little mobbed and seemed to be ready to leave but I was right next to her. I said "I love you, Sharon!". She said "I love you, too, baby!" and then signed my CD and tour poster. Newport Music Hall, Columbus, Ohio.
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings -- Sharon was walking around the grounds near the backstage area. I waited while she spoke with someone else. I told her how much I admired her, that I was happy she was beating cancer, and how much I loved her shows. She shook my hand and we took a picture together. Forecastle Festival, Louisville, Kentucky.
Phoenix -- The band signed my CD, we briefly spoke, and they all shook my hand. Lollapalooza, Chicago, Illinois.
Jimmy Griffin of the Incurables -- We talked after the show. He signed my CD. Attended show with Ken Zakel. Newport Music Hall, Columbus, Ohio.
Elizabeth & the Catapult -- The band signed my CD and poster after their set. The guitarist Pete Lalish commented that he loved my "I Heard It on NPR" t-shirt. The band was wowed that we were leaving the show after their opening set as we had come just to see them. Attended with Ken Zakel. Rhumba Cafe, Columbus, Ohio.
Elizabeth & the Catapult -- The band was teaching the chord changes to a couple new band members as Ken Zakel and I arrived early and sat quietly at the bar before the show. Elizabeth Ziman signed our CD after the show and we chatted briefly. Rhumba Cafe, Columbus, Ohio.
Elizabeth & the Catapult -- Elizabeth and I briefly chatted after the show. A fan asked which CD to buy and Elizabeth said her first CD. I said "Not true. Both are terrific." Elizabeth signed my CD -- she looked a little annoyed that I had said that comment. Attended with Ken Zakel. Newport Music Hall, Columbus, Ohio.
Freedy Johnston -- Freedy signed a poster for me as well as a CD. Ken Zakel attended the show with me. Canal Street Tavern, Dayton, Ohio.
Livingston Taylor -- After the show, Livingston spoke with me about Boston and Martha's Vineyard. He signed my CD. Livingston put his hand on my shoulder while we talked. I attended with my wife and three children. Old Whaling Church, Edgartown, Massachusetts.
The Heavy -- The members of the band shook my hand and signed their CD for me after their show. Attended the show with my son Sam. The Basement, Columbus, Ohio.
The Heavy -- The members of the band signed a CD and a poster for me after the show. They band shook my hand. Attended the show with Sam Teller. A+R Music Bar, Columbus, Ohio.
The 1975 -- Met the band, we talked briefly, and they signed my CD after their show. A+R Music Bar, Columbus, Ohio.
Billy Cox -- Shook his hand and he autographed the set list I had handed to me by a roadie after the show. "Experience Hendrix" tour. Taft Theater, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Sarah Siskind -- Met Sarah after the show and she signed a CD for me. Attended the show with Ken Zakel. Canal Street Tavern, Dayton, Ohio.
Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears -- The entire band signed my CD and poster. Black Joe jumped up from his chair and enthusiastically shook my hand when I told him I already owned the CD but bought another copy so he and the band could sign it. LC Pavilion, Columbus, Ohio.
Chris Kasper -- Chris thanked me for not wanting to shake my hand since I had a cold virus. He signed a CD for me with message about that kindness. Taft Music Hall, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Joe Ely -- We briefly spoke after his show and he signed a CD for me. Valley Dale Ballroom, Columbus, Ohio.
Lucette -- We spoke for a while after her show opening for Joe Ely. She apologized for now having anything to sign. We talked music. She shook my hand. Valley Dale Ballroom, Columbus, Ohio.
Bucky Pizzarelli -- We spoke about me bringing my father -- Bucky said he was a year older than my father. He signed my CD after the show. Attended the show with my father. Natalie's Wood Fired Pizza, Columbus, Ohio.
John Pizzarelli -- We shook hands, he signed my CD, and I told him how much I liked his book. Attended the show with Ken Zakel. Schuster Performance Center, Dayton, Ohio.
The Black Widows -- The band for Butch Walker and the opener themselves, the entire band signed my CD and poster. The keyboardist was from Wales and we talked about Wales while I waited for Butch Walker to appear -- he never did appear.
Nick Tolford & Company -- We spoke after the show, the guitarist and I talked about (614) magazine, and the band signed my CD. Newport Music Hall, Columbus, Ohio.
VHS or Beta -- Briefly spoke with the band and the two leaders signed my poster and CD. The Basement, Columbus, Ohio.
The Shadowboxers -- The band signed my CD after the show. The lead singer had pointed out my "Amy Ray and the Butchies" -- "should say 'Amy Ray, Bitches!" t-shirt from the stage. Newport Music Hall, Columbus, Ohio.
Meredith Sheldon -- We spoke for a few minutes about Livingston Taylor, Boston and Martha's Vineyard, and Juliard. The Basement, Columbus, Ohio.
Graham Parker and Bob Andrews -- We spoke briefly, both signed my flier for the show, and Bob and I spoke about Tom Jones (he had covered a song also sung by Tom Jones). 20th Century Theater, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Dave and Phil Alvin -- After the show, I walked around to the front of the building in the rain to find the band was smoking in an alcove in the front of the church. There was only one other person there -- it was raining pretty hard -- they were just saying hi. We spoke briefly. I asked about the CD cover with the picture of them as boys in California. They said the picture was taken about 45 miles from their home at the time. The signed the CD cover. They complimented me on having a plastic bag to put it in -- I was lucky -- it was my bag for my Sharpies in my pocket (I have had them leak and permanently mark my jeans). Southgate House Revival, Newport, Kentucky.
Dee-1 -- Dee-1 and I shook hands and hugged. I said nice show. Attended with Sam Teller. St. Andrew's Hall, Detroit, Michigan.
Mission of Burma -- Spoke with the band, they signed my two CDs, and Bob Weston (tour player and producer of many bands) also signed the CDs for me. All four shook my hand. Ace of Cups, Columbus, Ohio.
Twenty One Pilots -- We waited after the show hoping they would come out and sign. The tour manager said "The line starts with these two guys" -- my son Sam and I. The band signed posters for us, a CD for Sam, and shook our hands. Musica, Akron, Ohio.
Pere Ubu -- David Thomas of Pere Ubu signed a CD cover for me. I shook his hand. The Basement, Columbus, Ohio.
Capital Cities -- The band except Sebu signed a sheet of paper (with info on show from Promowest) for me after the show. Each member except Sebu shook my hand. All very polite. A+R Music Bar, Columbus, Ohio.
Martin Harley -- We spoke for a few minutes about him playing in the Himalayas, he liked me bringing paint pens and Sharpies, and he signed my CD. Attended show with my wife Grace. A+R Music Bar, Columbus, Ohio.
Delta Rae -- Shook the band members hands, spoke with Brittany Holljes about her going to Berkley, and they all signed my CD. Attended show with my wife Grace. A+R Music Bar, Columbus, Ohio.
Kid Runner -- Shook hands with the band, spoke with Bobby about baseball, New Order, and other things, and they signed their CD for me. A+R Music Bar, Columbus, Ohio.
Angela Parsley -- Angela and I spoke briefly and she signed her CD for me. Rhumba Cafe, Columbus, Ohio.

When I write all those down -- I think that is all of them or nearly so -- I am amazed. I have been very fortunate to have all those neat experiences. It takes persistence, patience, having something to say, having something to sign, having something to sign with, assertiveness, and luck. Thanks to all those artists!

No comments:

Post a Comment