Sunday, October 26, 2014

We Were Promised Jetpacks and The Twilight Sad at Skully's Music Diner, Columbus, Ohio, on October 22, 2014.

VENUE: I have been to nearly every other musical venue in Columbus, Ohio in the past 20 some odd years, but somehow had never made it to Skully's. I always wondered how they pull off the bar/restaurant/music venue thing. They do it well -- tables and bar in front. Another bar in back with a medium sized stage and standing room for a few hundred folks. Nice. The stage is raised and the room wide, so it is fairly easy to get good sight lines.
MERCH: Both bands had a nice selection of t-shirts, LPs, and CDs. I bought the latest CD by WWPJ for $15. More on that later.
OPENER: The Twilight Sad are a post-punk folk-alternative-noise band (does that describe them? Yeah, sure) from Scotland. They are friends of WWPJ. Enjoyable vocal and instrumental interplay. Enjoyable.
HEADLINER: I was first introduced to We Were Promised Jetpacks when they opened for Jimmy Eat World at the Newport Music Hall in ~ 2011. I REALLY love "Quiet Little Voices" and "It's Thunder and Lightning", had not seen them since that earlier show, knew they had a new album, and knew it was time to see them again. I was very pleased -- the new material was terrific, the early stuff sounded great, they cranked through the tunes I love, and put on a really good show. Adam Thompson's vocals sounded really good -- love that Scottish accent too. Very much what I was hoping for in a WWPJ show!
     Adam Thompson (vocals and guitar) and Darren Lackie (drums) signed at the merch table after the show. I told them I really enjoyed the show and told them of first hearing them at the Jimmy Eat World show. Darren stated he loved that tour as Jimmy Eat World was one of his favorite bands growing up. They both signed their new CD for me. Nice! Adam wrote "Thank you!". 
My rating: 3 out of 5 stars.

 James Graham of The Twilight Sad

 James Graham of the Twilight Sad

 We Were Promised JetPacks

 I couldn't resist taking this picture. Just humored by the interesting appearance of silhouettes and hair.

 Adam Thompson of We Were Promised Jetpacks

 We Were Promised Jetpacks

 Adam Thompson of We were Promised Jetpacks

We Were Promised Jetpacks



No comments:

Post a Comment