Sunday, October 26, 2014

Meat Puppets and Cass McCombs at A+R Music Bar, Columbus, Ohio on October 24, 2014.

     I was excited to hear Meat Puppets were coming to town. Somehow I have missed their other shows in town and was excited to see them. The certainly have influenced many other bands (including Nirvana), been on cool labels (SST), and have quite the body of work. Glad they came to town!
VENUE: The A+R Music Bar is one of my favorite spots to catch a concert. Good sight lines, convenient location, and I can often park a few minutes walk away for a few quarters!
OPENER: I have heard of Cass McCombs but not heard his stuff. He performed with another guitar/slide player, bassist, and drummer. Cass sang and played guitar. Enjoyable set.
HEADLINER: Meat Puppets -- I would love to have been a fly on the wall for that "let's pick a band name" conversation -- came on about 9:30. The founding brothers, Curt Kirkwood (vocals and guitar) and Cris Kirkwood (bass and vocals), still lead the band. They had a drummer and guitarist with them. Each of the musicians played really well. When you hear the band name "Meat Puppets" and hear they started as a punk band, it is easy to think you are gonna hear something like Black Flag's early songs. In fact, there is prog rock, Texas country, and some jazz elements to their sound. They are not playing a 2 minute song that is screamed such that you cannot hear the lyrics. Instead, you are likely to hear long instrumental interludes that capture the audiences' attention. Goo stuff! The band played for about 1 1/2 hours.
     I was happy to try out my new camera at this show: a Canon G16. Small but with a quick shutter and nice lens. I am happy with the photos -- considering the lighting. 
My rating: 3 out of 5 stars. Happy I went!


 Cass McCombs

 Cass McCombs

 Cris Kirkwood of Meat Puppets

 Curt Kirkwood of Meat Puppets

 Curt Kirkwood of Meat Puppets

 Meat Puppets

Meat Puppets from side of stage at the A+R Music Bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment