Sunday, October 26, 2014

Pearl Jam at Joe Lewis Arena, Detroit, Michigan October 16, 2014

      I have listened to quite a bit of Pearl Jam music over the years, but had never seen them live. So when the 2014 tour was announced, I knew I wanted to go see them. That proved a little tricky. Ultimately, my best bet was to see them in Detroit on October 16, 2014 at Joe Lewis Arena. I love a couple things about the Detroit area: 1. Dearborn Music for CDs and LPs and 2. Buddy's Pizza (Dearborn location) for delicious pizza. I am grateful I was able to get to the store, the pizza restaurant, and the show. Nice!
VENUE: The Joe Lewis Arena in downtown Detroit has seen some amazing sporting events (the rafters are filled with Red Wing banners) and concerts. I am happy I was able to see a show here before it closes in a couple years. Eddie Vedder mentioned they were excited to play here and thought the banners added to it's excellent acoustics. I was sitting "center ice" in the 7th row in the lower bowl. Nice seats.
MERCH: Wow! These guys have more t-shirts at a show than anyone! I love Springsteen, but often the t-shirts are mediocre and I have to decide if I would ever wear it later. With the Pearl Jam merch, the issue is not spending too much as they have a lot of cool stuff -- one-of venue posters, great t-shirts, and more. I bought a nice tour shirt for $30.
     I have seen Bruce Springsteen 18 times and have 1879 (!!) Bruce Springsteen with/without the E Street Band songs on iTunes (most of those live shows). If Bruce plays something obscure in concert, I get excited -- and at least on one occasion, cry tears of joy with the guy I just met sitting next to me. When Pearl Jam opened the show with two songs I was not familiar with, I got a little nervous. But fear not, as the show unfolded, they played one great song after another. And they played great songs I wanted to hear ("Alive", "Corduroy", "Dissident") and some awesome covers ("Detroit Rock City", "Baba O'Reilly", and "Kick Out the Jams"). I was very impressed. The fans loved them, the band seemed genuinely excited to play, and the show lasted three hours. Everyone -- band and fans -- seemed spent at the end of the show. I am guessing everyone went home happy.
My rating: If I had the fortune to catch a guitar pick or get a set-list, I would rate this a 5. But I am trying to save those 5s for the "blew me away" shows. This was close. I rate it a 4 out of 5.

 Pearl Jam at the Joe

 Eddie Vedder and bandmates in Detroit

 Screen capture.

 Nice lens placement!

 Eddie Vedder

 Pearl Jam near end of show in Detroit.

Pearl Jam's Twitter pic of set list from Detroit.

No comments:

Post a Comment