Saturday, April 23, 2016

Magic Man, The Griswolds, and Panama Wedding at the Newport Music Hall, Columbus, Ohio, 4/22/16

Quite the enjoyable show featuring three bands whom I like but have never seen live. And were those fans loud and enthusiastic all night!
Venue: The Newport was sold out for the event. Really good, vocal crowd. Way to represent Cbus! Although the vast majority of shows at the Newport are standing only, there is a small fenced-off area on stage left that has space for some chairs and wheelchairs. Thanks again to my security buddy for grabbing me so I could sit in this area. You are the man, _____!
Merch: Each band brought some combination of vinyl, t shirts, and CDs. Panama Wedding came out after the show for picture and/or autographs. Nice.
Panama Wedding: Good energy, good sound, upbeat, and overall a nice set. Also, I enjoyed the cover of the Killer's "When We Were Young".
The Griswolds: I really like these guys. Loads of energy, really good pop-punk sound, and good stage presence. They thanked our beloved CD102.5 local independent radio station who has supported them. I cannot wait to hear what they will produce in the future. Terrific.
Magic Man: I was interested to see a familiar face on keyboards for Magic Man -- Fran Litterski of local band Kid Runner. I spoke with her after one of their shows at the local A+R Music Bar (Kid Runner are worth seeing!). I only knew a few Magic Man tunes but quickly warmed to their energy and catchy songs. Alex Caplow (lead singer) and Ben Lee (guitar) front the band and consistently add a nice stage presence and solid musicianship. I really liked the Bruce Springsteen "Dancing In The Dark" cover! Well done, guys!
All three bands converged on the stage to finish off the show with a lively cover of R Kelly's "Ignition". Quite the night of music!

 Panama Wedding

 The Griswolds

 The Griswolds

Magic Man with Fran Litterski on keyboards

Magic Man, the Griswolds, and Panama Wedding close out the show with a group encore performing a cover of "Ignition" by R Kelly.

This photo is from Panama Wedding's Twitter account. I am on the far left of the photo in the black (Iggy Pop) t shirt -- sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment